Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Progress... Slow & Steady

Today I took a leap that I have not as officially taken before. I have submitted the manuscript for one of the volumes in my I Woke Up... series to a publisher. Prior to this, I had submitted manuscripts to a publisher my mother in law had met and have sent some pieces into magazines. Today, however, I submitted the full manuscript for one of the Bible story volumes, illustrations and all, to a Christian publisher. A little intimidating, but if they are not interested, it is not the end of the world. There are other fish in the sea. And this series is so big that I'm really thinking that going commercial first is the way to go unless the same Christian publisher would be willing to take the the entire series to its full potential. I'm not too picky about how this gets done, just so long as it does. I think in the end it will all accomplish the desired result. I just want to make sure I do the very best job I can to ensure that I do justice to every facet of the series.... and then all the other pieces God has given me as well.

I have struggled with the decision of whether to go commercial or Christian first since the series contains both secular and Christian volumes. I didn't want to be a sell out. Then I had an epiphany. We are as Christians to share with all the nations to the world. I have often thought that the hungry needed to be fed rather than just the full. As thrilled as I would be to have people go purchase my books in a Christian book store, I would prefer my readers become familiar with my work and follow it into the Christian market. In this way I am feeding the hungry rather than the full, by having their interest in the series compel them to purchase a book that they may not have previously.

Anyway. I am still sorting this whole thing out and am sort of limited as to where I can go from here. I have to wait on my illustrator for the drawings of the other titles I wish to proceed with, so I have to be patient.

To anyone reading this, THANK YOU so much for your interest and I ask that you pray (if you do) that the work will find favor in the eyes of those to whom I send it.

Until Next Time,

S.H. Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment